Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Edinburgh and Glasgow

I am finally back in England. My last days in Scotland were so great! I stayed with a good friend of mine in Edinburgh. We stayed there for 2 days, then went to Glasgow for two other days. We stayed the last night in Edinburgh again and afterwards I met J. to drive back to England by car.

Edinburgh

Edinburg is the capital city of Scotland and it was so beautiful there. It was really "posh" and Edinburgh is a richer town than for example Aberdeen. It has a lot of history and you can do everything by foot. The city consists of the "Old Town" and the "New Town".

I arrived on Friday and stayed for one night in Dalkeith and that was only 30 minutes far away from the city centre. I drove by bus and stayed in a beautiful posh house. On Saturday the funny part started. I met Jacky in the city centre and we checked in in the hostel. Our Hostel was called "Brodies" and it was situated on the High Street in the Old Town. It was really good. We went off to the city and strolled along and got a orientation. We prepared a meal and went out in the evening. We went to a bar and afterward in a club which was called "Opium". They played good music and it was a really good and funny night. We met people from Scotland and they gave us some tips to go to. The next day we had a long sleep and after that we went to "the Arthur's seat".

It was an old vulcano and it took us one and a half hour to get up the hill. We had a beautiful view over the city. It was really good altough we were kind of exhausted afterwards. It was really worth going up it.


We enjoyed being together and told each other a lot of funny stories. Back in the city centre we strolled again through the city and had lunch and coffee in nice places. We went to see the Castle and I can say that this was enormous!! We went back to the hostel and refreshed ourself. We had dinner in "Nando's" which is a Mexican restaurant. I've heard about Nandos (it is really popular in the UK and America) but it was my first time eating there. It was delicious!! I can recommend it to everybody who wants to try something new. We went to bed early and the next day was busy again.

Glasgow


It was the day of our bus trip to Glasgow. Our bus (megabus) left Edinburgh at 9 o'clock in the morning. Glasgow and Edinburgh are only 60 km far away so it wasn't a long journey. We arrived in Glasgow and went to the university. We were lucky, we saw a graduation! It was so different from our graduations. Everyone was dressed in a special gown and cap. It looked a little bit funny. Some of them wore high heels and had problems to go in them. But others looked really good!
We checked in the new hostel and we were really really lucky. He had booked a 8-bed-dorm and were the only people staying in that room!
The hostel was in the West End of Glasgow and so it was really "trendy" to be there. All the good bars and restaurants were there because it is so close to the university. We had a nice time in the city and be both thought it would be nice to study in Glasgow. We wanted to go to the Museum of Modern Art but it was closed on a monday so we only went through the city and I made an appointment at the hairdresser. We had another nice walk across the lake which runs through the city centre and enjoyed dinner in a chinese restaurant which was called "Ichiban". It reminded me of the chinese restaurant in my university city Coblence. The food was delicious we shared veggie sushi and both had a Curry. Mine was with Scampi and Jacky's was vegan.

We had a nice evening and went happy and tired to bed. The last day in Glasgow was busy again. We went to the hairdresser and I got my hair cut. The hairdresser was calles "Fusion" and it was really good. Afterwards we went to see the Mackintosh House. We had a little bit time before a guided tour started so we took a look at the exhibition. I loved the art. Glasgow is such a artistical city because there is the famous school of art situated. Everywhere are nice museums and art exhibitions. We had the guided tour but we were not allowed to take photos in the Mackintosh House. But you can download them in the Internet so I can present you a photo which was taken inside.

We had lunch in a nice restaurant which was called "Marthas". Everything in it was organic and it was crowded with young people. We had a little bit more time so we went to see the "City Chamber". It's the parliament and it looked so good.
Here is one photo of it:

Back to Edinburgh 

We caught the bus to Edinburgh and had our last night there. We went to a bar and talked a lot. I really enjoyed the time with Jacky! We went to bed late and I needed to get up early in the morning because on the next day I met Judith and went "home" with here. I drove by Cab and it was really exciting for me. She stayed in Edinburgh as well because she was at a friend's birthday party. We drove back to Nottinghamshire and had the nicest weather. It was 32 degrees and the journey took long because we made a lot of breaks. We were on the roads from 9:30- 7 o'clock but now I am happy to be here again.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Manchester, Liverpool and Lyme Park

Dear all, The new year has just started and I must admit I really needed the time off. It felt so good to be back home and I really enjoyed being far away from school and my job. Although I love working with the kids it is sometimes really hard to be so far away from your boyfriend, your family, your friends and your whole life at home. But nevermind. I will tell you about my last trip. So, just before the christmas holidays started I did another trip with my French friend M. Straight afterwards, I did not have time to wrote a travel summary so here it finally is: On our last weekend we took an early train from Lincolnshire to Manchester and stayed the whole weekend in a hostel which was called "Hatters". I must say I cannot really recommend it although it was a recommendation in my travel guide. Although its location was really central, the hostel was very old and run down. But nevertheless, the enjoyed our trip. On Friday we arrived at noon and had lunch in a nice pu

YORK

A cold but great day in Northern England I once read in my UK travel guide that if you only have the chance to explore one city in the North of England, you should definitely spend one day in York. The city is not only surrounded by a wall but also by two rivers. These are the river Ouse and the river Foss which confluence in York. Because the city has been existing throughout two millenia it has so much to offer. Only one example is York Minister which is the cathedral of the city. York Minister is one of the largest cathedrals in Northern Europe and the Archbishop of York has his seat there. By the way, the title "minister" derives from churches which were established in the Anglo-Saxon period as missionary teaching churches.  We did not go inside (you have to pay a lot to get inside) but we took a look at the cathedral from outside and it really looked stunning. Somehow it reminded me of the Cathedral of Cologne, although it is at the same time very

Manchester

Hi everyone! My last week at work was really really busy. It was kind of unsatisfying because I had so much work and did not get any reward for it and therefore I was really looking forward to spending the weekend away with my sister who knows me very well! So I was very happy to meet her on Friday and I really enjoyed the weekend with my sister. We met in Manchester Picadilly which is like the main train station in Manchester and we spent the whole weekend in this beautiful city.  I was really suprised because some people had told me before that Manchester would be rather rough and not too nice. Others, especially young people said that Manchester is really cool and that I should really experience the Nightlife .  So me and my sister, we  were open to experience the city without any prejudices and in the end the city proved the opposite.  We really had a great time in Manchester!! We did not only visited the Christmas market (where we drank one mulled wine f