Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Manchester

Hi everyone!


My last week at work was really really busy. It was kind of unsatisfying because I had so much work and did not get any reward for it and therefore I was really looking forward to spending the weekend away with my sister who knows me very well!
So I was very happy to meet her on Friday and I really enjoyed the weekend with my sister.
We met in Manchester Picadilly which is like the main train station in Manchester and we spent the whole weekend in this beautiful city. 
I was really suprised because some people had told me before that Manchester would be rather rough and not too nice. Others, especially young people said that Manchester is really cool and that I should really experience the Nightlife
So me and my sister, we  were open to experience the city without any prejudices and in the end the city proved the opposite. 
We really had a great time in Manchester!!


We did not only visited the Christmas market (where we drank one mulled wine for 5 pounds:D, tried loads of cheese and bought Baklava), but also the urban and trendy area Northern Quarter, the John Ryland's Library, the Art Gallery, China Town, the city centre and many more sights. 

I would definitely recommend to visit the John Rylands Library which is part of the University of Manchester. The entrance is free and you can just discover the great Victorian artpiece, wander around, listen to the history of this magical place or just study or do research there.
The funny thing is that the Librar was founded by Enriqueta Ryland, John Ryland's wife, in memory of her husband. She wanted to guarantee everyone access to knowledge and therefore she donated the Library to all students in Manchester. It is the third largest academic library in the United Kingdom and it stores over 250,000 printed volumes, and many manuscripts and archival items.
You can wander around and spot books by Descartes, Hobbes, Shakespeare and many more!

But most of all I liked the area "Northern Quarter". It is an area with many nice restaurants, urban bars, cool thrift shops and nice discos and pubs!! We got some good recommendations for this area so we tried the brunch spot "The koffee Pot", the trendy bar "Whiskey Jar" and the thrift shop "Cow". Wow, I would really love to go shopping in this thrift shop again. They sold pieces from Calvin Klein, Adidas, Champion and many more. It was like a little shopping paradise inside.
We also went to "Wagamama" a restaurant with Asian cuisine.
On our last evening we went to the cinema to watch "Murder on the Orient Express", which is a great movie with Kenneth Branagh, Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judi Dench, Penélope Cruz. I can only recommend it, it was really worth watching it!
After another nice English breakfast (I had the normal one but my sister tried Vegetarian English breakfast and it was really tasty!!) we had to take the train/ plane back to Lincolnshire/ Cologne but we were both very happy and I decided that I want to visit Manchester again! And next time I will plan one whole day for visiting Liverpool, too. Although I know one day for Liverpool is not enough I really want to visit Liverpool because it is said that the atmosphere is kind of similar to Manchester but even nicer with it's pier.
I am really excited and keep you updated!
But next weekend I will visit Chatsworth (finally) and Yorkshire so that might be very great, too!!

Best wishes,

A.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Manchester, Liverpool and Lyme Park

Dear all, The new year has just started and I must admit I really needed the time off. It felt so good to be back home and I really enjoyed being far away from school and my job. Although I love working with the kids it is sometimes really hard to be so far away from your boyfriend, your family, your friends and your whole life at home. But nevermind. I will tell you about my last trip. So, just before the christmas holidays started I did another trip with my French friend M. Straight afterwards, I did not have time to wrote a travel summary so here it finally is: On our last weekend we took an early train from Lincolnshire to Manchester and stayed the whole weekend in a hostel which was called "Hatters". I must say I cannot really recommend it although it was a recommendation in my travel guide. Although its location was really central, the hostel was very old and run down. But nevertheless, the enjoyed our trip. On Friday we arrived at noon and had lunch in a nice pu

YORK

A cold but great day in Northern England I once read in my UK travel guide that if you only have the chance to explore one city in the North of England, you should definitely spend one day in York. The city is not only surrounded by a wall but also by two rivers. These are the river Ouse and the river Foss which confluence in York. Because the city has been existing throughout two millenia it has so much to offer. Only one example is York Minister which is the cathedral of the city. York Minister is one of the largest cathedrals in Northern Europe and the Archbishop of York has his seat there. By the way, the title "minister" derives from churches which were established in the Anglo-Saxon period as missionary teaching churches.  We did not go inside (you have to pay a lot to get inside) but we took a look at the cathedral from outside and it really looked stunning. Somehow it reminded me of the Cathedral of Cologne, although it is at the same time very